The area comprising present-day Parramatta was first inhabited by the Burramattagal people, a clan of the Darug, who settled along the upper reaches of the Parramatta River approximately 60,000 years ago.
On November 4, 1788, Governor Arthur Phillip established a settlement in the area currently known as Parramatta Park. The town ‘Rose Hill’, was renamed ‘Parramatta’ in 1791, in acknowledgement of the name used by the Burramattagal.
Work on laying out the town commenced in 1790, with George Street leading from the wharf to Government House. Over the years, Parramatta rapidly grew as the administrative, residential and industrial centre for Western Sydney. The streets built to connect these places were given names which reflect the changing history and focus of the community, including a greater recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture.
Disclaimer: Some of the origin and meanings of our street names listed below are unclear at this present moment and so have been left blank. Should know of any information about how these streets got their names, please contact us.